Professor of Infrastructure Systems, SMART Infrastructure Facility
University of Wollongong
11:30 AM Aiding the Management of Complex Infrastructure Projects Through Architecture Framework Modelling Technology
Implementing new technology into existing Heavy Rail systems is one of the most complex of endeavours. The use of advanced Architecture Framework modelling technology can assist in managing projects by providing interdependent representation of the many processes to aid in understanding development issues arising over extended periods of time. The work, supported by the Australasian Council for Rail Innovation (ACRI), involving representation of personnel competency issues and gaps, safety assurance and cybersecurity issues is proving of considerable benefit to the organisations with these responsibilities. The technologies developed in this work are readily applicable to other infrastructure areas.
- Complexity issues for new technology implementation in heavy rail
- Modelling to understand interdependencies
- Application to competency, safety assurance and cybersecurity
New technology has the potential to drastically increase time and process efficiencies, as well as arming asset managers with entirely new capabilities. However, the initial investment in these tools can be deterring and the development process can be daunting. In this session, panellists involved in different areas of the asset management process, but with experience developing and using asset management tools, discuss the important considerations to keep in mind when considering this solution.
- The challenges in defining what a tool’s capabilities need to be.
- Describing the development process.
- Cost vs benefits. How do you justify the financial investment? And what are the challenges in implementing these new systems?